A place designed to make ownership of your Toyota Surf more rewarding

DMCA.com
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 1KZ-TE Fuel Pump Replacement
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:50 pm 
Surf Site Member

Hey All,

Looking for some advice and help with my problem. Apologies for the lengthy post , I have tried searching and now I am even more confused than before, but I think that the following post may answer my question

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/view ... pump+1kzte

So I am hoping to confirm that. Have I bought the wrong Fuel Pump ?

Found some really great information on this site and the UK site which prompted me to attempt this myself. Worth a shot.

Important stats are :

1KZ-TE Engine.
KZN130W Surf.

Original fuel pump was a - 22100-67070

replacement pump - 22100 - 5B300.

Had a major leakage from the speed sensor, went out and bought a Denso pump kit ($99) and attempted to fix. This did not go well and in the process broke cables.
Purchased a 5B300 pump ($339 Toyota dealer) and installed it, took a while but a good learning curve. All connected and tightened. Only 1 small problem, the new pump does not have connector for the plug in the photo.

I managed to get the timing about spot on and the car started well, but it runs at FULL revs, I mean FULL like foot flat to the floor. i am guessing that the lack of connection to the plug above is the cause.

Can anyone offer any advise ? Which pump should I have bought ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

I had no idea you could fit a 2L-TE injection pump to a 1KZ-TE engine which is what you have done. It will probably never work properly though, even if it does fit because of the different engine capacities, injectors, fuel requirements. etc.

The pumps looks very much alike and may even use the same pump body, with different internals. The spare plug you have is probably for the Fuel Temperature Sensor which the 2L-TE pump does not have.

Other than that I can't explain why the engine runs flat out and doubt that the Fuel Temperature Sensor is the only reason.

Nev

Rockcrawler - Adj.Panhard Rod
Uniden - UHO-75 Handheld

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:15 pm 
Banned Members

I think that you're going to pay either Uniteds or Freo fuel injection a visit with your old pump and wallet..

Fitting the wrong pump is why you have an engine that only has High Idle..

more to the point how the hell did you get it to fit? They're totally different pumps

Hers 1992 SSR-X 2door wide body
His. 1990 UZN130 SSR Limited. 1UZ-FE, 5 speed manual, Updated to SSR-G spec
Daughters car 1982 RN41 hilux ute with Surf bits
His junior... Buzz Lightyear electric Quad
Mr Dog..Any car with door open

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:17 pm 
Surf Site Member

Thank you for the reply.

I will try my local Toyota dealer tomorrow and find out if they can supply a replacement pump from my original model numbers or if it has been superseeded by a new number. Will post up results.

Maybe it wasn;t worth a shot :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

4th surf wrote:
more to the point how the hell did you get it to fit? They're totally different pumps

Are they really?. I'm looking at the EPC diagrams now and they look very much alike. I know the diagrams don't show much detail but the 2L-TE pump actually has a plug where the 1KZ-TE pump has the temperature sensor. Perhaps the sensor could be removed from the old pump and installed on the 2L-TE pump. The engine may still not run properly but may be worth a try to see if it actually idles correctly.

Nev

Rockcrawler - Adj.Panhard Rod
Uniden - UHO-75 Handheld

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:55 pm 
Surf Site Member

The pump fit without any problems. Which I thought quite surprising at my first attempt for this type of work.

I did have to add a couple of cable connectors to the plug located on the outside of the pump which I just assumed was a change from models.

My original pump is probably beyond repair, once I removed the top cover and went to Repco to purchase the correct 'star' socket tool to remove the speed sensor from inside the pump. The head of the bolts basically disintegrated which was the reason why I ended up purchasing a pump (hehe, yeah the wrong one it seems).

Any ideas on cost for a suitable replacement ?, I may have to source out a few wreckers...

Thanks

PS. I will also try suggestion above on the sensor change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 pm 
Banned Members

NiftyNev wrote:
4th surf wrote:

Are they really?. I'm looking at the EPC diagrams now and they look very much alike. I know the diagrams don't show much detail but the 2L-TE pump actually has a plug where the 1KZ-TE pump has the temperature sensor. Perhaps the sensor could be removed from the old pump and installed on the 2L-TE pump. The engine may still not run properly but may be worth a try to see if it actually idles correctly.

Nev

Yes physical differences are minor, 67070 pump has provision for an "O" ring to seal it to the timing cover whereas 5B300 doesn't. The big differences are internal with different sensors, springs and valves etc yet they look the same in the pictures in the parts catalog.

Might be able to fix the old pump but would have to see it first

Hers 1992 SSR-X 2door wide body
His. 1990 UZN130 SSR Limited. 1UZ-FE, 5 speed manual, Updated to SSR-G spec
Daughters car 1982 RN41 hilux ute with Surf bits
His junior... Buzz Lightyear electric Quad
Mr Dog..Any car with door open

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:36 pm 
Surf Site Member

Thought I should post a follow up. Thanks to all who offered some suggestions.

Quote for a replacement pump 22100-67070 from Toyota is $2,495.10. ouch, plus about a 5 day wait to ship from east.

With some persistance with a dremel and some expert soldering the pump was repaired and is now back in and working. Replaced timing belt as well and ran engine for a approx 5 minutes, can't go for a test run until I have replaced radiator.

Quote for a radiator from Toyota $1,833.00 plus a 4 week wait to ship from Japan. Natrad gladly took on the job and quoted $150, hopefully should have it back by Monday.

So now I have a surplus 22100-5B300 pump sitting around, i'll post it up for sale. The top nut to hold the speed sensor is not included as my old one had to be cut off.