A place designed to make ownership of your Toyota Surf more rewarding

DMCA.com
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mechanical overdrive problem on A343F
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:34 pm 
Novice

Hi,
I have a 2nd gen Surf KZN130 with an A343F automatic transmision. The problem is high fuel consumption (7km/L) due to the overdrive that is not engaging (3100RPM@100km/h). Another thing that is disturbing me is no power when starting on steep hills or one wheel in a pothole. When I downshift from 2 to L I have to depress the brake in order to engage No.1

I replaced the capacitors in the ECU which were broken now I have no DTC. I checked oil, OK. I disconnected the two double pin connectors at top left back of the transmission. Am I right those are for the solenoids?

What I experience this way is no overdrive at all. When I put to D I have the feeling the transmission is going from 1 to 3 automatically. Is that normal? The manual says it should go to overdrive then. Does that mean overdrive only or 1-O/D?

My car stalls at ~1900 RPM. Time lag is neglegible. Line pressure I can't measure.

My Toyota dealer has hever fixed a transmission, the second next dealer is 1500km away.

What would be your diagnosis?

I suspect overdrive brake and clutch to be defective. Any idea about the poor starting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:12 pm 
Contributing Member

A long shot but:

There have been a couple of intstances where unplugging and replugging the ECT computer (the transmission computer) in the drivers footwell has solved similar problems. If the ECT computer is not getting signals from the ECU computer (in the passenger footwell) the gearbox does its own thing.

Rhino Tracks & Basket/ 31" Cooper ST's/ Tough Dog 15mm Coils/Tough Dog 40mm Foam Cell Shocks/Red Low Oil Pressure Lamp/Amber Temp over 92 Lamp/Green Coverter Locked Up Lamp/By Pass Filter/ Battery isolator/Temp Guage Mod
Replaced:
Injectors, Fuel Pump, Alternator, Starter, Condensor Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:57 pm 
Surf Site Member

check this thread out
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=234550#234550

3" Exhaust , Snorkel
Boost Gauge
Tube Bar and TJM 9500lb Winch

ON WAY
Intercooler and Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:11 pm 
Novice

shiresurf wrote:

Thanks, but as I wrote in my post the problem is of mechanical nature. When you disconnect the ECU from the gearbox and the problem persists, the reason can't be the ECU, isn't it?

My questions are:
    Is it true that those two cables on the top left rear are for the solenoids?
    Which mechanical defect inside the gearbox could it be?
    How complicated is a fix?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:13 pm 
Contributing Member

tanzanite wrote:
shiresurf wrote:

Thanks, but as I wrote in my post the problem is of mechanical nature. When you disconnect the ECU from the gearbox and the problem persists, the reason can't be the ECU, isn't it?

My questions are:
    Is it true that those two cables on the top left rear are for the solenoids?
    Which mechanical defect inside the gearbox could it be?
    How complicated is a fix?

Only thing unplugging the ECU proves is that it's probably faulty if there is no change. Before you start pulling bits and pieces off the transmission have your ECU repaired. Dead capacitors and corroded tracks will cause the sorts of problems you are having. Any electronics tech will be able to perform the task if you don't feel confidant wielding a soldering iron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:04 pm 
Life Member

I just had a bad ecu in my kzn130 as the capacitors had leaked and corroded the tracks.
Had it repaired but had to much damage so had to replace ecu and all is well again \:D/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:53 pm 
Over 200 posts

the smurf wrote:
I just had a bad ecu in my kzn130 as the capacitors had leaked and corroded the tracks.
Had it repaired but had to much damage so had to replace ecu and all is well again \:D/

How much was the replacement ECU? been keeping an eye on Ebay but nothing yet :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 pm 
Life Member

EndoLux wrote:
the smurf wrote:

How much was the replacement ECU? been keeping an eye on Ebay but nothing yet :(

Picked it up for $220 from Salisbury wreckers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:40 am 
Novice

BertR wrote:
Only thing unplugging the ECU proves is that it's probably faulty if there is no change.

According to the Toyota troubleshooting guide I have for the A340F this is not true. If there is no DTC and basic settings are OK you perform a "manual shifting test" which comprises disconnecting the solenoids and inspecting manual driving operation. Overdrive should work with disconnected solenoids in D position. I assume the difference between A340F and A343F to be minimal.

Since on my car the O/D doesn't engage during this test my problem is a faulty transmission. As I wrote in my original post, I already repaired the ECU.

Looks like it is difficult to find somebody who is familiar with those gearboxes...